Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Chicken with chickpeas and endive




A couple of weeks ago when I was trying to solve the dilemma of what to cook for dinner, I came up with a recipe of chicken thighs with turmeric and broad beans. This was delicious and I commented at the time that chickpeas would be an interesting alternative to the broadbeans I used in the last recipe.

This recipe is different to that extent, but also because I cooked chicken drummettes and left out the chilli oil I had added to the chicken thighs. I also used a bunch of baby endive that I had on hand. I added the chopped endive fresh to the chicken and found that I needed to stir it a couple of times to ensure that it combined properly as the endive softened. Steaming the endive lightly beforehand would obviate the need for this.

The flavours were all delicious together and I served it on a bed of nutty wholemeal basmati which blended with it beautifully.



Ingredients

700 gr chicken drummettes
1 dsp seasalt flakes
2 cloves garlic
2 tsp sliced ginger
2 tsp ground turmeric
juice of two lemons (about 150 ml)
400 gr cooked chickpeas
1 bunch of baby endive

Mode

Preheat oven to 210c
Arrange the chicken drummettes in a baking dish
Sprinkle with salt flakes
Peel and crush garlic and slice ginger
Add garlic, ginger, and turmeric to chicken
Mix thoroughly
Roast for 30 minutes
Meanwhile squeeze lemons
Roughly chop endive and steam lightly if desired
Remove the chicken from the oven and pour over the lemon juice
Add the chickpeas and endive and stir to combine
Return to oven and roast for another 20 minutes.
If you have not steamed the endive, stir at least once during the second phase of cooking to ensure that the mixture combines properly as the endive softens.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin