Sunday, June 19, 2011

#blogjune 15 The Flavour Thesaurus

For my last birthday, I said "No presents" but some people did sneak some in. One of them was this fascinating little toolbox entitled The Flavour Thesaurus: pairings, recipes and ideas for the creative cook, published by Bloombury in 2010 and written by Niki Segnit.

Segnit divides 99 foods into twelve categories ranging from "Roasted" through "Mustardy" and "Woodland" to "Floral Fruity" to name just a few. Within each food section there is information about the food, a few recipes, and pairings with other foods on the list. I often use Stephanie's bible for its suggestions of what goes with the food element I happen to have on hand so it will be interesting to see if I use this reference tool as well or stick with my tried and true Stephanie. It will also be interesting to see how much similarity there is between the two lists of "pairings".

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm very curious about this cookbook. Beci Orphin recently talked up the design element of this cookbook on her blog http://www.beciorpin.com/blog/?p=1934

Anonymous said...

I have this book after finding it on Book Depository. I haven't read it all but what I have is great.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin