Sunday, April 25, 2021

Lentil soup with coriander



I hadn't really intended to write this recipe up.  But I was talking to a friend when it was simmering and she wanted the recipe! The difference between this and the normal lentil soup that I make is that I used coriander instead of dill and I also added some ginger root.  It is also a cheat's lentil soup in the sense that I didn't cook the lentils from scratch but used ready to use canned lentils from my pantry. If you want to use dry lentils, you will need to soak them and prepare them before adding the other ingredients.  As I love the fresh taste of coriander, I really enjoyed this soup as a start to winter that has come to us in Melbourne in autumn. If coriander isn't to your taste, you can add the herb of your choice. 

Ingredients

400 gr diced tomatoes
800 gr canned lentils (2 400 gr cans)
2 tbs tomato paste
2 carrots
4 dried bay leaves
Bunch of coriander
2-3 cloves garlic crushed
3 tsp crushed ginger root
500 gr water (and as needed)
White wine vinegar

Mode

Place the tomatoes, tomato paste in a large stovetop pan on high heat
Stir to combine
Add the lentils, garlic and ginger and stir
Chop the coriander roughly and add it and the bay leaves to the mixture
Slice the carrots into circles and add
Add water and stir all to combine
Cover and bring to the boil stirring occasionally
Reduce heat and simmer covered until the soup has thickened and all the carrots are tender, still stirring occasionally and adding extra water as needed.
Serve with a dash of white wine vinegar (to taste)



1 comment:

Sherry's Pickings said...

lentils are so good for you, and i think canned ones are fine. not much they can do to a lentil! love coriander!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin