Wednesday, June 15, 2022

Chicken, coriander & ricotta balls in tomato sauce




So it is June again and I have been meaning to sit down and do a #blogjune post on this blog which I have regularly continued to post in. The last time I completed #blogjune every day of June was in 2016.  But I still get tempted by the notices and by reading posts by long ago connections and friends. So it’s just one for me this June. 

This is a serendipity dish. I bought some minced chicken to make chickens simmered in tomato sauce, but I grabbed it quickly off a shelf without looking at quantity. Ah well, necessity is the mother of invention they say, so I eked out the mixture with half a tub of ricotta I had in the fridge. And the end result? I liked it a lot and will make the dish again. 

As an alternative to simmering on the top of the stove, you can also bake in the oven. If you want to do that, start with preheating the oven to 180c. Then make and sear the chicken balls. Put the sauce into an ovenproof dish, add the seared balls, cover with a lid or foil and cook for 45 minutes. This method can also be used to reheat any remaining chickens but 30 minutes should enough for that. 




Ingredients 

230 gr minced chicken
140 gr ricotta
2 spring onions
2 cloves crushed garlic
2 tsp crushed ginger root
1 tsp Sambal oelek
I bunch coriander
Breadcrumbs
Ready-made tomato and basil sauce
Olive oil




Mode

Place tomato sauce in pan and bring to boil
Reduce to simmer
Chop spring onions
Crush garlic and ginger
Place minced chicken in bowl
Add ginger, garlic and Sambal oelek and stir to combine
Roughly chop coriander and add to mixture
Add ricotta 
Stir to combine 
Place breadcrumbs on plate
Form balls from chicken mixture and roll in breadcrumbs
Pour olive oil into frying pan and heat
Quickly sear the chicken balls in batches
Add to tomato sauce and simmer for 30 minutes






1 comment:

Sherry's Pickings said...

this sounds very tasty bar the tomato sauce :-) I could use capsicum or a green sauce ...

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin