Wednesday, December 26, 2012

#blog12daysxmas Day 2 Pomegranate Chicken




For my #blog12daysxmas challenge I am going to be jumping around amongst my blogs as the fancy takes me.  For day 2 as food seems to have been uppermost in my mind for the last few days I am going to blog the recipe of the Pomegranate Chicken which I cooked last week. I love playing around with recipes and food and being on holidays gives me the opportunity to do more of it than when I am working in a full-time busy job.

So why pomegranate chicken? As always a number of triggers led to this dish. I had some chicken breasts that I wanted to cook and a friend sent me a recipe of a chicken salad she had made with pomegranate molasses.  What could I do with my chicken breasts that would have a pomegranate touch?  I read a bit of Claudia Roden for some Middle Eastern ideas and then I just started playing around with foods that I had in the kitchen.  If I may say so myself, the result was very yummy.  Well, it certainly was to me as it included so many of my favourite foods!



Ingredients

2 cups pomegranate & cranberry juice
1/2 cup baby lentils (French lentils)
4 chicken breasts
Flour
Olive oil
1 can chickpeas
Handful walnuts
1 green pepper
1 tsp Sumac
1 bunch coriander

Mode

Place the pomegranate and cranberry juice in a pan on the stove
Add lentils
Cover and bring to the boil
Reduce heat and leave simmering
Meanwhile roughly chop the chicken breasts
Flour the chicken pieces
Heat olive oil in frying pan
Quickly seal the chicken pieces in the oil and add to the simmering juice and lentils
Break up the walnuts and add
Add chickpeas and Sumac  and combine
Thinly slice the green pepper and add to the pan
Bring to the boil again and then reduce the heat and simmer for a couple of hours until all the flavours are absorbed and everything is tender
Roughly chop the bunch of coriander
Add half of it to the mixture about 10 minutes before serving and mix well
Sprinkle the rest of the fresh coriander on the chicken dish on serving.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin