Sunday, May 25, 2008

Coconut & Lime Blogiversary: Lime Curd


Rachel over at Coconut and Lime is about to celebrate a Blogiversary. She is coming up to her 700th original recipe and is having a competition to celebrate. Participants can either cook one of Rachel's published recipes or create something new with the ingredients of coconut and lime. As a new food blogger I haven't yet participated in any competitions. Was this to be the one for me? I have been having a bit of a binge with limes recently and knew that there were lots around in the shops.

So could I come up with something creative for limes and coconut? Well, I probably could have but I cast a quick glance at Rachel's recipes and lit upon Key Lime Curd. I have never made curd myself. Well, why would I as my mother used to make lemon curd regularly? So here was my opportunity: eggs, butter, sugar and limes. As limes were A$3.99 for a kilo bag, I rather over-purchased as I ended up only needing 6-7 limes in the recipe.



But one never knows if there will be a disaster. Now I can make a few more batches or look for some other way to use the limes. Of course, we don't have key limes in Melbourne as the recipe requires. I just got normal Melbourne limes, well from South Australia actually. They are probably Tahitian limes as that's what we mostly use.



Before I started I also went to consult my bible, Stephanie The Cook's Companion, and she had some interesting comments to make about curd, lemon in her case, e.g. it not mattering if it boils, don't use a double saucepan, and she did things in a different order. One thing I did transfer from her recipe was whisking the eggs and sugar together before adding them to the juice and butter mixture.




Lime curd

Ingredients:
3 eggs
6 tablespoon butter
1/2 cup caster sugar
2/3 cup fresh lime juice (6-7 limes)
1 teaspoon lime zest

Method:
Squeeze limes to make juice and add required zest.
Whisk the eggs and sugar together lightly.
Melt butter in saucepan over low heat.
Pour in lime mixture while stirring.
Add egg and sugar mixture.
Stir all ingredients together continuously for about 8 minutes until it starts to form a custard and to simmer.
Take from the stove and allow to cool.
Pour into a jar and refrigerate.
Note: the curd thickens as it cools.

This tastes and looks lovely. I have firmly put it away in the refrigerator but maybe a little bit on toast for breakfast tomorrow will be yummy? Rachel, thanks for getting me to cook something I haven't tried before. And congratulations on your blogiversary!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin