Sunday, August 1, 2010

Spinach and Ricotta Pastries


After using half a tub of ricotta to make my meatballs, guess what? I needed to decide what to do with the rest. And what goes with ricotta? Spinach! So I decided to make some spinach pastries using ready made sheets of frozen puff pastry I had in the freezer. The result was pretty yummy, if I say so myself, and incredibly simple to do.



2 sheets frozen puff pastry
200 gr low fat ricotta
2 spring onion chopped
Handful shaved Parmesan
6 individual serves frozen spinach
1 clove of garlic peeled and crushed
Half teaspoon Sambal Oelek
1 egg
Sesame seeds

Mode
Preheat the oven to 200 c.
Take sheets of frozen pastry from freezer and put on wire rack to thaw
Place frozen spinach, spring onion, garlic and chilli in bowl
Cover with greaseproof paper and microwave for 2.5 minutes
If microwave not available, place in top level of steamer until cooked
Place ricotta and parmesan in mixing bowl
Beat egg in cup with fork and add most of it to cheese mixture (leave enough to baste the pastries)
Add vegetable mixture to bowl and stir until combined
Cut pastry sheets into four equal portions
Spoon heaped dessertspoon of mixture onto each square
Pull each corner to centre and press together to seal
Make sure that the four outer corners are also sealed thoroughly to prevent leakage
Using pastry brush baste tops of pastries with beaten egg
Sprinkle with sesame seed
Place in middle of oven and cook for 20-30 minutes
Leave for 15 minutes before serving

4 comments:

pollyalida said...

What a great idea. I bet these would freeze nicely, then pop them into the oven for a quick and impressive treat.

Polyxena said...

Hmm! I had forgotten this recipe. I might have to make some.

leonie said...

We had these tonight. They were very tasty, but they came apart at the seams. Not a problem as they still looked and tasted great, but I obviously lack your professional touch!

Polyxena said...

Whoops! Maybe you just had too much filling? I have had similar experiences. Anyway, I'm glad you liked the tasre:)

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin